1921 by Norman Van Aken is a celebration of modern artisans – fused with respect for craftsmanship, community, and the region’s culinary diversity. The restaurant is a partner to the adjacent Modernism Museum setting the stage for a destination that nourishes the spirit and soul.
Through permanent and rotating installations guest are treated to a meticulously curated feast for the eyes. Wendell Castle, George Nakashima, Paul Evans and Dale Chihuly and more are represented in the unprecedented collection. Paired with Van Aken’s signature Modern Florida Cuisine, the refined-rustic restaurant immerses guests in an engaging repast.
From blueprint to construction, great efforts were taken to design a state-of-the-art restaurant while maintaining the historic structure’s character. Additions to the footprint seamlessly meld into the building, which was built in 1921 hence, in part, the name of the restaurant.
Gallery lighting befits the needs of the museum pieces while giving tables proper illumination. Flooring is a mix of wood and Spanish tile – an ode to Florida’s narrative. The combination of artwork and art of cuisine create a multi-sensory flow from the past to the future. And tables fashioned from reclaimed wood showcase the intrinsic art of nature.
The kitchen is a canvas for vibrant flavors and textures that showcase farm-fresh fare. Each plate is a work of art. 1921 by Norman Van Aken opens a new chapter in museum restaurants. What was once an afterthought extends the mission of the museum onto the menu.
- Category: American Cuisine
- Distance to Walt Disney World: 27.4 Miles
- Distance to Orlando Intl Airport (MCO): 32.6 Miles
- Distance to Sanford Intl Airport (SFB): 24.3 Miles
- Distance to Downtown: 23.6 Miles
- Distance to Convention Center: 27.8 Miles
- Distance to SeaWorld: 29.2 Miles
- Distance to Universal: 24.9 Miles
- Hours of Operation: Tues., 5 p.m. to Close; Weds.-Sun., 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. & 5 p.m. to Close
- Upscale Dining
- Reservations Recommended
- Outdoor Seating
- Full Bar
- View Menu
- Maximum Banquet Capacity: 65.0
- Maximum Reception Capacity: 120.0
- Maximum Seating Capacity: 158.0
- Private Rooms